A photographic and written history of abandoned sites in and around Atlanta, curated by your friendly neighborhood trespassers Turtl and Bloody.
Tuesday, January 26, 2021
Hard Knocks, Hard Labor
Went out with Turtl to visit the ***** school. Here's some fun history on it. I'm going to censor location data.
Originally the property was " ***** Works Camp," established sometime around 1932. This prison camp was first built as a wooden structure that cost around $15,000 and held 125 inmates. However, in 1945 a fire engulfed the structure, killing 1 prisoner. Construction of a new building began, utilizing rocks from the local quarry this time, a less flammable option.
In 1959, the property changed hands, now controlled by the **** Schools, Inc. This corporation was founded by 22 of the area residents, who wanted to establish a Christian school for their children in the neighborhood. Upon purchasing the property for $125,000 the school began accepting applications for enrollment the same year. Initially starting with grades 1-8, they added a year of high school each of the first four years. The 146 students at **** in 1959 paid $650/each. **** School is still active today, however it moved to another address in ****- its unclear exactly when this move occurred.
Paper and Power
Known as the old home of a local newspaper, this 5 story structure sits at the heart of downtown.
Constructed in 1947 for $3 million, it was home to the paper while Ralph McGill served as editor. During this period, the paper's radio station occupied the top floor, while the ground floor was dedicated to retail space. Three years later, the paper was purchased by James C Cox, who merged it with another paper that he owned. The rapidly expanding publication moved out of the building in 1953. Georgia Power moved in two years after.
From 1953-1960, many Atlantans in the metro area would head to the modern building in the heart of downtown to pay their utilities. In 1960, Georgia Power moved to 241 Ralph McGill, leaving the building empty once again. Throughout the next 12 years tenants went in and out of the building, ultimately leaving it empty in 1972.
Many attempts have been made by local preservations to add the building to the National Register of Historic Places, but the city has not been on their side in the process. However, when the building was abandoned in 1972, a bas-relief piece was removed and rehomed in the Georgia World Congress Center Marta Station. The piece was created by a graduate of Georgia Tech, Julian Harris, and measures at 72 feet.
Until recently, the owner of the building was the Georgia Department of Transportation, but in 2017 they sold to Pope & Land & Place Properties. The new owner talked of transforming the property into low cost housing units.
The building sits empty and abandoned today. Covered in VPS panels. A distinct departure from the plans of four years ago.
Tuesday, February 3, 2015
John B. Gordon Elementary
It made it almost 100 years, falling just short after closing in 1995. The school was named after one of Robert E. Lee's most trusted generals, John Brown Gordon.
Gordon lived from 1832-1904. "A native of Upson County, Georgia, and a Major General, Confederate States Army, was one of General Lee's most trusted and outstanding officers. He brilliantly led his devoted men in every engagement in which the army of Northern Virginia participated and was severely wounded at the Battle of Sharpsburg. He led the War's last charge and following the Appomattox surrender, returned to Georgia. Idolized by the populace, he served his state three times as U.S. Senator and as Governor 1886-1890. He was Commander-in-Chief of the United Confederate Veterans from its inception until his death- a fitting tribute to a gallant gentleman."
-Historical plaque at Oakland Cemetery placed by the Alfred Holt Colquitt Chapter, U.D.C.
Gordon Elementary flourished in the 1950s, with many posting online concerning their fond memories of running across the street to buy a soda pop. Unfortunately the school began to decline as Atlanta grew, and has been vacant ever since it closed. The shell of the school still stands, more or less to this day.
There has been talk of using the land to build apartments, as recently as 2013, but no progress has been made. The elementary school caught fire in early 2014, and the newest section of the building was destroyed. As of, November 2014, there was a massive cleanup of the school, and in early 2015 demolition started. Gordon Elementary was a beautiful brick building that will be missed.
Until Next Time, -Turtl and Bloody
Monday, January 5, 2015
Out of City Post: Charity
|Looking down the stairway on the 19th floor|
|Samples preserved in formalin|
|One of the many hallways with power|
|Samples to be disposed of|
It was then scrubbed by a team of 150 military and healthcare professionals to bring the building up to medical standards, but right before the building was ready to open, Governor Blanco stopped it.
|Forgotten brain images|
|A table of microscopes outside of a lab|
Bodies were cleared, but medical records remain. The people of New Orleans have fought back to save the building, however there are currently no future plans for Charity.
Until next time! -Turtl & Bloody
The Battery company is on the hook to clean up the site, according to their 2003 agreement with the EPA, however the company has declared bankruptcy, making the situation complicated.
The 12 acre property was purchased by a private company in 2006, who proposed a mixed use development that was okay-ed by the neighborhoods; however no progress has been made.
Due to the property's ideal location, right off the beltline, the city of Atlanta has grown frustrated with the property owners, suing them for code violations, though the owners claim they can't even afford to board it up properly. In recent years, the building has found new life through the graffiti and street artists of Atlanta, who add to the ever changing art outside and inside the building.
The fate of the property is uncertain, though it is an ideal site to add to the beltline's property. As of summer 2014, the property was re-boarded, the broken gate fixed, and the yard maintained by a crew.
Until next time!
-Turtl & Bloody
Friday, November 14, 2014
The Richest Man in Atlanta
|The front of the mansion, with clouds overhead|
From 1920-1922, the Mansion was built by C.E.F with assistance from D.B. with a Georgian Revival Exterior. The biggest room in the mansion is a 1,700 square foot music room, now renamed, which stretches 3 stories tall with a vaulted Tudor interior.
|The rear of the mansion|
|The solarium, used to house plants|
|The grand entranceway, deterioration from mold and decay|
|One of the eight cottages|
|Taking a break from wandering the tunnels|
|A room in one of the many cottages|
Thats all folk's! Till next week -- Bloody and Turtl